And more info for the new followers.
My comic, The Pride, is about a team of LGBTQ superheroes from all over the world, all walks of life, increasing diversity and representation in the comics.
It’s been getting a lot of positive attention, especially of late, with great reviews, supportive comments, reader feedback, fan art and more.
Here’s some of the reviews:
"I highly recommend this smart, charming, wonderful book to anyone who likes good comics. It’s absolutely a pleasure to read and a clear labor of love." - Gail Simone (Batgirl, Secret Six, Red Sonja, Tomb Raider)
Issue one, recently sold out in print after an incredible showing at London Film & Comic Con 2014, was also recently, very briefly, the #25 Top Seller on Comixology US!
The comics are still going with many more issues to come, but we need your help to keep going, as we need your readership, sharing and spreading the word and buying the comics and prints, especially via our own store, helps me raise the money to keep the book going.
So, if comics and/or LGBTQ are your thing, please check out The Pride!
A while back, I posted that first character sketch and talked about a dream project Lawrence and I have had for a few years now. A cathartically violent queer mafia revenge story. A story about a crime family not of blood, but of united disenfranchisement and social purpose. A family that bashes back.
For a long time, we had all these amazing ideas for stories and characters, but we weren’t sure where to start or how to do it. And now here I am with some really exciting news. The script for the inaugural comic book issue of Bash Back is finished. Written by lawrencegullo and zforzelma, it is on the desk beside me, covered with notes and page break-downs. The first 8 pages of it are storyboarded in my sketchbook, and almost all the character designs are complete.
So get fucking excited, guys. Because those queer, poc, trans* protagonists you wanted? They are coming. And they’ve got their brass knuckles on.
Bash Back is on Tumblr. So far, it has just been our mood board. Going forward, this is where we will post updates, news and the comic itself.
My contribution to Dafna Pleban’s To Boldly Zine… #1, that debuted at LA Zine Fest in February. Sorry about the less-than-perfect handwritten text - I found out about the zine right before the show and drew this whole comic in one day.
I just saw Dafna at Comic Con International and it sounds like the second issue may be in the works soon!
Did you know Robin Williams named his daughter Zelda?
It’s time for the very first Queer Comics giveaway contest! We’re really excited to see who’s out there and excited about queer comics and comic creators, and the contest is pretty damn important too. Do you want to see comics made by and about people who are #queerlikeme and you? Share with us!
You could win one or all of the comics above and more:
- A copy of Batgirl #19 by Gail Simone, with our favorite bisexual BFF from the batgirl series, Alysia Yeoh. This is her coming out issue, as well as a very tense issue for the Gordon family.
- Multiple issues of the diverse and super-queer Young Avengers series by Kieron Gillen, including #11 (shown), #13, and #6.
- Issues of The Movement by Gail Simone, featuring multiple queer (and queer readable) young adult characters.
- A whole bunch of our favorite new comic The Pride by Joe Glass, which features a whole cast and crew of queer characters, playing for and against stereotypes and labels and generally just being its own marking stone in LGBT comics.
- A near mint original copy of Engima #1 by Peter Milligan and Duncan Fegredo, featuring one of the best superhero m/m romances in comics to date from the early 90s.
- And a whole lot more! Comics featuring queer and queer-interpreted characters like Deadpool, Harley Quinn, Red Sonja, Hercules, Wonder Woman, and the Wolverine.
And here’re the nuts and bolts:
- The giveaway is open to everyone, international or from the United States.
- This contest (whether it’s first wave, or the whole shebang, will end August 23nd at 10pm EST.
- Your selfie (if you post one) should have about a sentence worth of your thoughts on queer rep, or your own identity, and the phrase/hashtag “#queerlikeme.”
If you enter from twitter:
- You gotta be following queercomics’ tweets (or you won’t see who wins!).
- You should ‘@ reply’ us in your tweet if you can, and you must tag it #queerlikeme somewhere in the body.
If you enter from Tumblr:
- You must be following queercomicsblog to win.
- You must reblog this post.
- You can reblog as many times and as often as you want.
- Tag your seflie/thoughts about queer representation in comics #queerlikeme and #queercomics.
- Reblogs = one entry into the single comics giveaway (up to four comics of ever type, plus a special tumblr-exclusive surprise.) Photo/text entries = two additional entries and a chance to win the whole set.
These are wonderful peeps. Check it out!